Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Good Shepherd

"One Year Bible" Old Testament Passage
Ezekiel 33:1-34:31

Therefore I will save My flock, and they shall no longer be a prey; and I will judge between sheep and sheep.  I will establish one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them -- My servant David.  He shall feed them, and be their shepherd.  Ezekiel 34:22-23 (NKJV)

One of the most vivid images of the ministry of Jesus is that of a shepherd.  He is our Good Shepherd.  The metaphor has deep and important meaning.  We, God's people, are likened to sheep -- lost sheep.  We are a scattered flock open to danger, disease, and abuse. 

This is the condition of fallen man.  We are like sheep without a shepherd.  We need to shepherding ministry of Jesus.

Scripture says that the Father's great plan for us is not simply to accept us and allow us to pledge our allegiance to Him.  He promises to send -- to raise up -- to establish wonderful shepherding care over our lives.  Jesus is our good shepherd.

In this passage there is a succession of "I will's".  God says, "I will search for you...I will seek you...I will bring you in...I will feed you...I will give you rest...I will bind you up...I will strengthen you."  It is a wonderful picture.  Such is the care God promises to His people.  This is more than membership -- it is communion.  It is more than acquantance -- it is acceptance.

Such is the relationship God desires with His people.  Jesus is our Good Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment