Saturday, May 5, 2012

Burnout

"One Year Bible" New Testament Passage
John 4:4-42

Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work."  John 4:34 (NKJV)

We hear much these days about "burnout."  I think this is the result of an "over-busy" culture.  Everyone seems stressed to the max and running too hard.  Our pace of life bears serious consideration.

However, there may be more to this than just busy, over-booked schedules.  Burnout is a direct result of lack of REPLENISHMENT.  We "give out" and never "take in." 

One of the most important questions any of us should ask is this:  "Have I established postive patterns of replenishment in my life?"  This involves being able to draw into the life of Jesus and allow the "living water" to refresh your soul.  It is so important.

Jesus gives us the pattern.  He said, "MY FOOD is to do the will of God."  In essence, "I want to always stay right in the middle of God's will for me -- not necessarily everyone else's will for me -- GOD'S WILL FOR ME.  I want to DO His will."

One of the signs of doing the will of God is that when you are done you feel fuller than when you started.  You do not feel depleted.  There is something about the presence of God that fills us with power and joy.  This is the greatest guard against a burned out life.  So drink from the well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment