Sunday, July 8, 2012

How to be an Emotional Wreck

Here's the Pulpit Notes for the message delivered Sunday, July 1 and Sunday, July 8 at New Life.  You can listen to the audio on our website: http://www.newlifesite.com/

Blessings!

Inside Story, Part 2
 “How to Be an Emotional Wreck”

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  Psalm 139:13-14 (NIV)

15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.  17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God!  How vast is the sum of them!  18 Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand — when I awake, I am still with you.  Psalm 139:15-18 (NIV)

23 Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.  Psalm 139:23-24 (NIV)

Definition of an Emotional Wreck
Emotional Wreck:  The state of mind or conscience where all of your emotions are tangled into one big ball of mess. Usually occurring after the death of a loved one, a messy break up, loss of some thing with sentimental value, or even after a really, really bad day. Usual symptoms include feeling confused, with tangled ideas about who to be angry/sad at.


My heart is severely pained within me, and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fearfulness and trembling have come upon me, and horror has overwhelmed me.
So I said, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest
.  Psalm 55:4-6 (NKJV)


Hear my cry, O God; attend to my prayer.  From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  3For You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy.
  Psalm 61:1-3 (NKJV)

In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; my hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing; my soul refused to be comforted.  I remembered God, and was troubled;
I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah  You hold my eyelids open;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak
.  Psalm 77:2-4 (NKJV)

We have a number of terms in our current culture to describe this condition:

Bent out of shape
Lose it
Went over the edge
Went postal
Six Easy Steps to Being an Emotional Wreck:

1.     Refuse to face your feelings.


Aka Stuff it.

You have two ways you take in everything: 

                        FACTS
                        FEELINGS
20 In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. 21 Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work. II Timothy 2:20-21 (NIV)

Key Word:  PROCESS



2.     Don’t trust people.  Therefore, don’t talk.


Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment.  Proverbs 18:1 (ESV)

Put words on your emotions.  It’s good for you!!

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.  James 5:16 (NIV)


Key Word: COMMUNICATE



3.     Take everything personal



And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.  Matthew 24:10 (NKJV)


My dear brothers and sisters, always be willing to listen and slow to speak. Do not become angry easily,  James 1:19 (NCV)


Key Word: FORGIVE



4.     Think about what is WRONG.

Major on the minor.
God is in the details.
Dwell inwardly on all that’s going wrong.  Pick up on all the details. 
16 When I thought how to understand this, it was too painful for me— 17Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end.  Psalm 73:16-17 (NKJV)

Key Word: WORSHIP


5.     Recognize that you’ve been shafted



6.     Vent (let ‘em have it) – Let her blow!

Guaranteed:  Do these six easy steps and you too can be an emotional wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment