Sunday, April 14, 2013

ON THE MOUNTAIN: "Hearing"

Here's a link the message at New Life on Sunday, April 14.  This is the second message in the series ON THE MOUNTAIN, and is entitled "Hearing".  If you would like to listen to this message you may do so by going to our website at www.newlifesite.com.  God bless!

On the Mountain, Part 2                                            Sunday, April 14, 2013
“Hearing”


So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”  Genesis 22:14 (NIV)


23 “So it was, when you heard the voice from the midst of the darkness, while the mountain was burning with fire, that you came near to me, all the heads of your tribes and your elders. 24 And you said: ‘Surely the Lord our God has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we have heard His voice from the midst of the fire. We have seen this day that God speaks with man; yet he still lives.  Deuteronomy 5:23-24 (NKJV)


The Mountain is the place where we meet God.  It is a high place from which you can see a long way.

ONE OF THE BASIC TENETS OF SCRIPTURE IS THE FACT THAT GOD REVEALS HIMSELF.

Continually we find “And God said.”

God speaks.  He communicates.  The question is HOW DOES HE COMMUNICATE?


Communication is essential to relationship.  But, communication is also a battlefield.  It can be easily misunderstood.

MARRIAGE

When my wife, Martha, speaks to me:
a.       I do not always hear her
b.      When I do hear her I don’t always understand what she’s saying.

We’ve been married 40 years.  In a few weeks we will celebrate 41 years of marriage.  I have learned over time to recognize her voice.  And she recognizes my voice.  It gets easier over time. 

In similar fashion, we can learn to hear God’s voice speaking to us. 

RECEIVING A CALL ON YOUR CELL PHONE

Sometime I get a call, and the caller ID doesn’t tell me who it is.  I don’t have it in my CONTACTS.  I later call back and find out it is someone I know but didn’t recognize.

CB CRAZE

In the 70’s there was a fad called the CB craze.  Along with this fad came an whole new vocabulary:

Everyone had a handle that could be something like

Lingo:  smokey bear, put the pedal to the metal, 10-4 good buddy.

“Have you got your ears on?”
“He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”  Luke 8:8 (NKJV)
Video about Prayer
PSALM 29
Give unto the Lord, O you mighty ones,
Give unto the Lord glory and strength.
Give unto the Lord the glory due to His name;
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is over the waters;
The God of glory thunders;
The Lord is over many waters.
The voice of the Lord is powerful;
The voice of the Lord is full of majesty.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars,
Yes, the Lord splinters the cedars of Lebanon.
He makes them also skip like a calf,
Lebanon and Sirion like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord divides the flames of fire.
The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;
The Lord shakes the Wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the deer give birth,
And strips the forests bare;
And in His temple everyone says, “Glory!”
10 The Lord sat enthroned at the Flood,
And the Lord sits as King forever.
11 The Lord will give strength to His people;
The Lord will bless His people with peace.
Three Reasons Why it is Important to Hear God:
1.     It proves I’m in God’s FAMILY.

My sheep recognize My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.  John 10:27 (LB)
Two-way communication is essential to any real relationship.
Example:  When I travel around these days, everyone wants to know about the Duck Commander. 
If I say I know Phil Robertson, what does that mean?  I live in the same city he lives in.  I watch his show.
I write him letters, but does he write back to me?  I call him on the phone, but does he call me back on the phone?

2.     God’s voice protects us from MISTAKES.

Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own.  Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track.  Proverbs 3:5-6 (Message)
God will forewarn you. 
That still small voice that says DON’T.

3.     God’s voice produces SUCCESS in life.

The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.  I will advise you and watch over you.  Psalm 32:8 (NLT)

How do I hear God’s voice?
1.     Cultivate it.
2.     Make time for it.
3.     Get rid of distractions.
4.     Cooperate with what He says.

CULTIVATE means to get your mind ready to year from God.  Open your mind to the possibility

We often resist even trying to hear from God because
1.      We don’t think He cares enough to speak to us.
2.      We are so prideful that we think we can do it without His help
3.      We are afraid of what He might say to us.
4.      We’re angry about something and can’t get over it.

MAKE TIME.  Slow down long enough to hear God.
How many times have you really heard from God, but then got so busy that you forgot what He said?

ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS.  Focus your attention on hearing from God. 

COOPERATE WITH GOD.  Do what He says for you to do.

So Abraham called that place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”  Genesis 22:14 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment