Monday, July 1, 2013

ALARM BELLS: "I Can't Trust Anyone"

Here are the notes from the message at New Life Community Church for Sunday, June 30, 2013.  This is the fourth in the series ALARM BELLS, and is entitled "I Can't Trust Anyone."  If you would like to listen to this message, you may do so by going to our website at www.newlifesite.com.  God bless!

Alarm Bells, Part 4                                                                            Sunday, June 30, 2013
 “I Can’t Trust Anyone”


But everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved, for some on Mount Zion in Jerusalem will escape, just as the Lord has said. These will be among the survivors whom the Lord has called.  Joel 2:32 (NLT)

Let’s get honest.  Are there any skeptical people here today?
Ways we have learned to be skeptical.
UNCERTAINTY

Things we have trouble trusting God about (what are you worried about?):
Our Children
Our Money
Our Future
I had said in my alarm, “I am cut off from your sight.”  But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy when I cried to you for help.  Psalm 31:22 (ESV)

23 Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”  24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”  Mark 9:23-24 (NKJV)

For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me in.  Psalm 27:10 (ESV)

Three Things about Doubt
1.     Doubts are COMMON.
William Lane Craig:  Any Christian who is intellectually engaged and reflecting about his faith will inevitably face the problem of doubt.

2.     Doubts can be SCARY.
Lee Strobel in The Case for Faith:  For many Christians, merely having doubts of any kind can be scary. They wonder whether their questions disqualify them being a follower of Christ. They feel insecure because they're not sure whether it's permissible to express uncertainty about God, Jesus, or the Bible. So they keep their questions to themselves—and inside, unanswered, they grow and fester . . . until they eventually succeed in choking out their faith.

3.     Doubts must be ADDRESSED.
Michael Gleghorn:  Whenever they come and whatever for they take, we must each deal honestly with our doubts.  To ignore them is to court spiritual disaster.  But facing them can lead ultimately to deeper faith. 

Why do we doubt?
1.     Unanswered QUESTIONS
2.     Unrealistic EXPECTATIONS
3.     Partial UNDERSTANDING

What makes it tough to trust God?

24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.  John 20:24 (NKJV)

Our PACE and our PLACE.

25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”  So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”  John 20:25 (NKJV)

We start TESTING God.

26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”  John 20:26-27 (NKJV)

Doubt and unbelief can shut you down for a long time.
If you start testing God, you can stay in a bad place for a long time.
God rarely does something new to try to prove Himself to you.  He will show you what He has already done.

28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”  John 20:28 (NKJV)

Trust issues are all tied to your relationship to the Lordship of Jesus.

29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”  John 20:29 (NKJV)

You’ll never know happiness and freedom until you start believing again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment