1. The Offer of FORGIVENESS.
2. The PERSON of JESUS.
3. RELATIONSHIP rather than RULES.
4. DO vs. DONE.
Question No. 1: What’s the problem?
Question No. 2: How can BAD be made GOOD?
Question No. 3: Who measures up?
Question No. 4: What must I do?
Hard to Believe
Next week: Heart Hurdles
Movie Clip: The Bucket List
I leaned back and folded my arms.
Nick: “And to be honest, I really don’t believe that God asks people just to take a blind leap of faith about him.”
Jesus: “You’re right. He doesn’t. That’s what the world’s religions do.”
Nick: “What’s the difference between them and what you’re saying?”
Jesus: “About one hundred eighty degrees. In this case God gives proof before he expects faith. ….”
Nick: “But Jesus is the same. What evidence is there that Jesus was God?”
Top 10 Objections:
1. Christians are hypocrites.
2. What about all the atrocities Christians have committed?
Religious wars, crusades, Spanish Inquisition, condoning slavery, burning witches, colonialism, repression, genocide…
Nick: Why has Christianity been such a mixed bag?
Jesus: Several reasons. Most of the people who have done these things didn’t really know me. They have been outwardly religious, but they weren’t mine.
3. Religion is a crutch.
Karl Marx: Religion is the opiate of the masses.
4. Believing Jesus is the only way is narrow-minded.
5. Being a good person is all that matters anyway.
6. What about the millions who have never heard about Jesus?
7. The Bible is full of contradictions and errors.
8. If God is so good, why is there so much evil in the world?
9. Why is there suffering?
10. How can a loving God send people to an eternal hell?