Friday, April 1, 2011

The Prophetic Ministry of Jesus

"One Year Bible" Old Testament History Passage
Deuteronomy 18:1-20:20

"The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren, Him you shall hear."  Dt. 18:15 (NKJV)

The center of the Bible is Jesus Christ.  The Old Testament looks forward to Him.  The New Testament teaches us of Him.  The writer of Hebrews states that God spoke to us in various ways in the Old Testament but now in these last days has spoken to us in His Son (Heb. 1:1-2).  Jesus is the clear communication of God to man. 

Jesus has essentially three ministries to us.  He is Prophet, Priest, and King.  This is so very important for us to understand.  He is my king in that He guides me, directs me, rules me, and protects me.  He is my priest in that He brings me to God.  He performs all that is necessary for me to come boldly into God's presence.  He represents me totally before the Father.  He is my Prophet in that He brings God to me.  He is God's voice to me.  He speaks clearly of God's will for my life.  He guides me and gives me wisdom.  He is my Prophet.

Much is said these days about prophetic ministry.  It is a vital and needed dimension of ministry.  Prophecy, however, is aimed beyond the mending of personal problems or comfort in crisis.  It is aimed at glorification of the one true Prophet.  Prophecy and prophetic ministry is not simply a feel-good experience of confirmation that God is with us, valuable as that may be.  It is GOD SPEAKING TO US telling us of His will for our lives. 

God's clear word to us today is found in the person and work of Jesus.  He is our Prophet.  And the Bible says, "Him YOU SHALL HEAR."  That will always bring breakthrough into new realms of faith, blessing, and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment