Thursday, January 10, 2013

Knowing God's Guidance

One Year Bible
Old Testament passage for Thursday, January 10, 2013: Genesis 23:1-24:51

And he said, “Blessed be the Lord God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken His mercy and His truth toward my master. As for me, being on the way, the Lord led me to the house of my master’s brethren.”  Genesis 24:27 (NKJV)

Guidance, or the lack thereof, is a huge topic in most people's lives.  We wonder about the future.  We seek daily to make the best decisions, but sometimes we just don't know which way to go.  So, we pray for divine guidance.  Like David, we pray, "Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths" (Psalm 25:4).

Some people say knowing God's guidance is nearly impossible while others loosely say, "God led me to....." about everything they do.  Occasionally, we experience "aha" moments when we see clearly how God has been leading us even though we didn't know it.

Our story today is a story about guidance.  Abraham sent his servant on a mission to find a wife for Isaac.  In many ways that servant is like you and me seeking to fulfill God's plan for our lives.  It is truly important to know God's calling and direction.  He desires to speak to us about those plans. 

Once we have an idea about what God wants we then must move out in faith.  Abraham's servant said, "As for me, being on the way, the Lord led me..."  God cannot guide something that is not moving.  We always must walk in the light that we have.  Rarely does God give us light for 10 miles down the road.  He gives us light for the next 10 yards.  We must be "on the way." 

I believe that God gives confirmation of His will.  He will speak to you softly and He can bring circumsances into place to confirm what He says.  We should not, however, become so dependent upon confirmations that we stop trusting.  There will always be a "faith factor" in finding divine guidance.  Even if we should falter, God will always be pleased with our desire to trust Him.

Probably, many who are reading this today are in some need of guidance or direction.  Begin now to move out in the direction you feel God has already given you and He will guide you "in the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment