Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Transferred

"One Year Bible" New Testament Passage (for Thurs., Oct. 4, 2012)
Colossians 1:1-17
 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, Colossians 1:13 (ESV)

When I was in my teenage years, my father was transferred by his company from south Texas to Louisiana.  I had spent my entire childhood there in that small Texan town.  We were uprooted and sent to a new home.  I had to meet new friends and fit into an entirely new environment.

As anyone who has experienced such a move can testify, it was a bit traumatic.  I had to learn a new place, a new home, a new neighborhood.  All of this turned out well for me even though at the time it caused many an uncomfortable moment.  But, on a far bigger scale, anyone who comes to Jesus experiences a greater "transfer".  

We have been transferred out of darkness and into light.  We must learn an entirely new culture, an entirely new environment.  We have to learn a new way to live.

It is so easy to slip back into old ways.  They seem so comfortable.  But, God has "relocated" your life.  Just like Israel in the Old Testament, you have come out of Egypt and your new home is in the Promised Land.  You have to learn a new way of living! 

This affects everything.  Just like moving to a new nation, you must learn a new language.  Just like moving to a new government, you must learn the values of the King.  Such is the wonderful path of the Christian life.  We are bound for HIGHER GROUND.

No comments:

Post a Comment