Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Promise

"One Year Bible" Old Testament History Passage
Numbers 14:1-15:16
"but truly, as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord."  Numbers 14:21 (NKJV)

Numbers 14 is one of the most dramatic passages in all of Scripture.  God hints at wiping out the children of Israel and starting over with a new people.  Only Moses' intercession stays the hand of God.  The twelve spies have returned from their foray into Canaan and the majority opinion is, "We can't do it!"  The people respond with an outburst of despair, frustration, and unbelief.  This is a bad moment.  It appears that the entire undertaking is about to go down.

In the midst of this, God makes an awesome, breath-taking promise.  In essence, He says this, "You folks may be about to give up.  You folks may be shaking in your boots.  But, I want you to know something for sure.  As surely as I live, I am going to bring blessing out of this!  My purposes WILL go forward.  I am going to pour out My glory."

God makes an incredibly strong promise.  The writer of Hebrews refers to this by saying, "He could swear by no one greater, so He swore by Himself" (Heb. 6:13).  He swears by Himself saying, "as surely as I live." 

In our darkest moments, God is there.  When propects are most dismal, God is there.  He is there and He is speaking.  He says, "Remember what I've brought you here for.  I am going to fill the earth with My glory like the waters that cover the seas."  That's our God!  He brings beauty out of ashes.  He gives the oil of joy in the midst of mourning.  He takes off the spirit of depression and heaviness and replaces it with garments of praise and glory.  (Is. 61:3)

At one of Israel's worst moments, God made one of His greatest promises.  He does the same with us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment