Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Supernatural: Gathered for Power

Here are the notes from the message at New Life Community Church this past Sunday, September 23, 2012.  If you would like to listen to this message, please go to our website at www.newlifesite.com.  Thanks and God bless you.

Supernatural, Part 4                                                          Sunday, September 23, 2012
 “Gathered for Power”


Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant:  I Corinthians 12:1 (NKJV)

There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: I Corinthians 12:4-7 (NKJV)

Vs. 4.  Gifts – Charismata.
Vs. 5.  Ministries – Diakonia.
Vs. 6.  Activities – Energema.

There are two basic themes that run through the entirety of Scripture.

16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.” 17 And he was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.”  Genesis 28:16-17 (ESV)

Two Themes:
1.     The GATE of Heaven
2.     The HOUSE of God

26 I will make a covenant of peace with them; it will be an everlasting covenant. I will establish them and increase their numbers, and I will put my sanctuary among them forever. 27 My dwelling place will be with them; I will be their God, and they will be my people. Ezekiel 37:26-27 (NIV)

Today we’re going to talk about this idea of GOD DWELLING IN OUR MIDST.  How does God make Himself known on earth?  What does it look like when Heaven invades earth?

This is where it becomes important for us to understand how God operates in terms of the supernatural.  Few people have difficulty about the supernatural in terms of getting to Heaven.  It is in terms of how that operates on earth that we have questions.

37 If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. 38 If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. 39 So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.  I Corinthians 14:37-39 (ESV)

40 But all things should be done decently and in order.  I Corinthians 14:40 (ESV)

What is the purpose of the church service?
What happens when the church comes together?
There are two ways churches usually answer that question:
1.      To reach the LOST.
2.      To BUILD UP the church.


For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost.”  Luke 19:10 (NLT)

25 as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”  26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.  I Corinthians 14:25-26 (NIV)Cross references:
 
25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.  Hebrews 10:25 (NIV)

Illustration:  I like you but I don’t like your wife.
When we come together:

1.     JESUS is walking among us.

11 For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. That is why he is not ashamed to call them brothers, 12 saying, “I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.”  Hebrews 2:11-12 (ESV)

2.     ANGELS are in the room.

Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?  Hebrews 1:14 (NKJV)

It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own head, because of the angels.  I Corinthians 11:10 (NIV)

3.     The MINISTRIES of God are released.

11 I will make my dwelling among you, and my soul shall not abhor you. 12 And I will walk among you and will be your God, and you shall be my people. 13 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves. And I have broken the bars of your yoke and made you walk erect. Leviticus 26:11-13 (ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment