Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Most Powerful Force in the Universe

"One Year Bible" New Testament Passage (for Mon., Aug. 20)
I Corinthians 12:26-13:13

Love suffers long and is kind; ... bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  Love never fails. I Corinthians 13:4, 7-8 (NKJV)

The COVENANT LOVE of God is the most powerful force in the universe. It is far more than the weak, emotional, temporary favouritism that the world calls love. In fact, the case can be made that the world does not know how to truly love at all. Feel-good affection can only carry you so far. COVENANT LOVE is a different kind of "critter".

The love of God is the rock-hard commitment He has made toward us FOR OUR BENEFIT. He has determined good toward you and me based on the obedience of Christ. Nothing can stop His favor toward you. When I say that He loves you, I am not just saying that He likes you and has warm feelings toward you. I am saying that He has made an unbreakable vow, an unbreakable commitment that will always manifest good and benefit toward you.

The COVENANT LOVE of God challenges me. I am so thankful that He loves me that way. Now He calls me to love others with the same kind of COVENANT LOVE. I am called to believe, endure, be patient, forbear, forgive, and favor those who at times displease me. I am called to walk IN LOVE just as God has loved me.

This is "the more excellent way." It is the call of God to you and me to no longer walk in our childish, selfish ways. This is what it means to KNOW THE LORD.

So, today, Heavenly Father, help me to walk in your COVENANT LOVE. Lift my vision higher so that I no longer see the failures of fallen man. But, instead may I see Your great goodness so that I can be more like You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment